Sharing with you the summary of Andrew Matthews 3rd book Follow Your Heart. A must read book for everyone!
The Ten Concepts
1. We are here to learn lessons, and the world is our teacher
When we fail to learn a lesson, we get to take it again… and again!
Then once we’ve learnt the lesson, we move on to the next one. (and we never run out of lessons!).
2. The universe has no favorites. Your success and happiness depend on natural laws and principles; so USE them. Eg. the Law of Cause and Effect. The universe rewards effort, not excuses and no effort is wasted. Have the discipline to do little things you don’t like, and you can spend your life doing the big things you DO like.
We cannot change things, unless we accept them.”
– Carl Jung
3. Your life is a perfect reflection of your beliefs
When you change your deepest beliefs about the world,
your life changes accordingly.
“The things always happen that you believe in; and the belief in a thing makes it happen.”
– Frank Lloyd Wright
The beliefs that you hold determine your quality of life.
It’s not your job, it’s what you believe that makes the difference.
“It’s a funny thing, life. If you refuse to accept anything but the best, you very often get it.”
W. Somerset Maugham
Enjoy what you have.
It’s not what happens to you, it’s HOW YOU SEE IT!
4. The moment you get too attached to things, people, money… you screw it up.
The challenge of life is to appreciate everything and attach yourself to nothing.
“The only people who think more about the poor are the rich.”
If you really want something, GIVE it away.
“The origin of sorrow is desire.”
5. What you focus on in life expands.
We have about 50000 thoughts a day and any conscious thought repeated over a period of time becomes a programme.
Positive thinking shapes your subconscious.
Our subconscious mind is a collection of all our thoughts. Our most common thoughts have created our strongest subconscious behaviours. THOUGHT REAPS RESULTS; so think about what you DO want!
We CHOOSE how we see people. YOU CREATE YOUR REALITY.
“Show me one happy, ungrateful person.”
– Zig Zigler
6. Follow your heart down the ‘journey of life’.
Your mission in life is not to be without problems – your mission is to get excited about something(s).
“Always do more than you are paid for, and one day you will be paid for more than you do.”
You don’t work for your boss – you work for YOURSELF!
Your life will only work when you take full responsibility for your CHOICES. And your CHOICE of VOCATION is top of the list.
“Work is love made visible.”
– Kahlil Gibran.
The world is a market place. Once you develop a skill, people will pay you for it!
Simplify your life. Too often we underestimate our own talents.
To find, you first have to seek. Get comfortable with the idea of doing what you like. But to do what you love doing, you have to believe it’s possible.
Ask yourself this vitally important question:
What do I want to do with my life?
“…the only ones among you who will be truly happy will be those who have sought and found how to serve.”
– Albert Schweitzer
When we express our talents, we find joy.
Being rich is not a goal; it’s a by-product of the process.
When you care about what you do, enthusiasm carries you through.
When you are passionate about something, no-one else has to motivate you.
7. God, the universe is never going to come down from a cloud and say: “You now have permission to be successful.” You have to give YOURSELF permission.
“You can’t build a reputation on what you’re going to do.”
– Henry Ford
“If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always got.”
“Stay cool” living in the present moment. Forcing things never works. It’s not where you start; it’s how you finish.
“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.”
8. When you fight life, life always wins.
If you want more peace of mind, stop labelling everything that happens as “good” or “bad”.
Don’t be too hard on yourself. Give yourself a break sometimes.
Develop an ‘attitude of GRATITUDE’.
“If the only prayer you say in your whole life is ‘thank you’, that would suffice.”
– Meister Eckhart
Peace of mind comes from contemplating on what you already have… and not on what’s lacking in your life.
9. How do you love people? Just accept them (as they are)..
Complete acceptance is unconditional love.
We are here to learn to love one another.
“Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.”
– Mark Twain
Pain is inevitable; whilst misery is a choice.
Love your neigbour, as well as yourself. “Love cures two people, the person who gives it and the person who receives it.”
– Karl Menninger
10. Our mission in life is not to change the world – our mission is to change ourselves. And by changing ourselves for the better, we help change the world. There are no “outside” solutions, only “inside” solutions. Whenever we change, everyone else changes!
Your experience of the world is actually you experiencing yourself. Be the change you wish to see in the world, YOURSELF.